Is a Weighted Blanket Right for You?
If you're someone who cherishes a good night's sleep or simply loves snuggling up with a cosy blanket, then you're in for a treat. Today, we're diving into the world of weighted blankets. You might wonder why they've become such a hot topic lately. Well, we're here to unravel the mystery for you.
When it comes to weighted blankets there's more to them than meets the eye. These blankets have gained popularity for their potential to soothe anxiety, improve sleep quality, and provide a sense of comfort like no other.
So, sit back, relax, and get ready to explore the wonderful world of weighted blankets with us!
What is a Weighted Blanket?
A weighted blanket is just that—a blanket that is weighted. They can be filled with small beads, pellets, or even sand which provides the added weight that is needed for deep pressure stimulation (DPS).
Weighted blankets can be used in the comfort of your own home or in a clinical setting. They are a safe and effective way to improve your sleep, reduce anxiety, and boost your overall well-being (more on that below).
How Do Weighted Blankets Work?
When you’re stressed or anxious, your heart tends to beat too quickly. While mindfulness and stress relief techniques can be helpful in bringing your heart rate down, so can a weighted blanket.
This is where that DPS comes in. DPS is a therapeutic technique that uses gentle, but firm pressure to help calm the nervous system. This pressure therapy can be described as being hugged, held, or swaddled.
Benefits of a Weighted Blanket
Weighted blankets can offer you a heap of benefits, outside of just comfort and security. Keep reading to learn about a few ways a weighted blanket can benefit you:
Helps Reduce Anxiety & Stress
Everyone feels anxious or stressed at some point—it’s human. However, some people experience constant anxiety and worry excessively. Anxiety is so common that in the UK, it is reported that over 8 million people are experiencing an anxiety disorder at any one time.
Your autonomic nervous system controls basic bodily functions like digestion, breathing, shivering, or sweating. This system also prepares your body for stress or rest, which is referred to as your “fight or flight response.”
A weighted blanket’s pressure can help your autonomic nervous system get into “rest” mode and help reduce some of these symptoms, providing a sense of calm.
Improves Sleep Quality
Are you a tosser and turner when it comes to sleep? You’re not alone. In fact, almost 1 in 5 people in the UK aren’t getting enough sleep.
DPS is thought to help stimulate the production of serotonin, the mood-boosting hormone. But it can also help reduce cortisol (stress hormone) and increase melatonin levels (sleep hormone).
And speaking of anxiety and stress—When we’re stressed or anxious, it can be difficult to fall asleep. However, since the pressure of a weighted blanket helps calm your heart rate and breathing, it can help calm your body down enough to get the sleep it desperately needs.
Aids with Pain Relief
Do you experience discomfort or pain? A weighted blanket might actually help with a little relief!
Weighted blankets can help to reduce muscle tension. When muscles are tense, they can refer pain to other areas of the body. Weighted blankets can help to relax muscles, which can reduce pain.
One study found that using a weighted blanket for 30 minutes before bedtime reduced pain in people with fibromyalgia. And it’s also been shown that using a weighted blanket for 60 minutes a day reduced pain in people with chronic low back pain.
Boosts Focus & Concentration
DPS can also help with improving focus and concentration. It helps release hormones such as serotonin and oxytocin, which have calming and relaxing effects. Since these hormones can help to reduce anxiety and stress, your mind can take a breather and, therefore, better focus and concentrate.
Additionally, DPS can also help to regulate the body's circadian rhythm, which is the body's natural sleep-wake cycle. When the circadian rhythm is regulated, it can be easier to fall asleep and stay asleep, which can also improve focus and concentration.
If you have any concerns with your sleep quality or health, consult with your healthcare professional.
Tips for Using a Weighted Blanket
If you’re new to the world of weighted blankets, here are a few tips to get you started:
- Start slowly. If you are new to using a weighted blanket, start by using it for short periods of time, such as 30 minutes before bedtime. Gradually increase the amount of time you use the blanket as you get used to it.
- Find a comfortable position. Experiment with different positions to find one that is comfortable for you. You may want to try using the blanket while you are sitting, lying down, or even while you are standing.
- Take breaks. If you start to feel uncomfortable or claustrophobic, take a break from using the blanket.
Choosing the Perfect Weighted Blanket
So you’re ready to take the plunge and get a weighted blanket of your own, but where to start? Here are a few things to consider when choosing the perfect weighted blanket for you:
- Consider your weight. The general rule of thumb is to choose a weighted blanket that is 10% of your body weight. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, you would need a weighted blanket that weighs about 15 pounds.
- Consider blanket size. Weighted blankets come in a variety of sizes, so choose one that is right for you.
- Consider the fabric. Weighted blankets are typically made from soft, breathable fabrics. Choose a fabric that you find comfortable and that will keep you comfortable. We highly recommend bamboo viscose, in this case.
- Consider the filling. Weighted blankets are filled with a variety of materials, such as glass beads, plastic pellets, or sand. Our favourite weighted blankets are filled with premium glass beads, which are easy to evenly distribute.
Cosy House Collection’s Luxury Weighted Blanket
The comforting feeling that the Cosy Luxury Bamboo Weighted Blanket provides is unmatched.
Cosy House Collection's Bamboo Weighted Blanket is a high-quality option that is made with soft, breathable bamboo fabric. Our material’s natural ventilation means you won’t become overheated beneath the blanket.
It’s filled with premium-grade glass beads, which are evenly distributed throughout the fabric to provide a gentle, calming pressure.
It’s also hypoallergenic and repels common household non-living allergens which means it stays cleaner for longer! When it is time to wash, the easy-to-remove cover is machine washable and dryer-friendly making laundry day a breeze.
It’s available in Twin and Queen sizes and weighs in at 15 pounds.
But don’t take our word for how great our Weighted Blanket is… thousands of people love it! Find out why:
“I’ve been so happy with my first purchase of bedding sheets from Cozy House that I had to buy and try the weighted blanket. I’ve been sleeping with this blanket for over a week and I’m so obsessed. It’s extremely soft, breathable so you don’t get hot. You can wash because the cover it’s removable and most important it has a deep touch pressure stimulation that reduces anxiety is amazing!” - Naiara Cooney
“I seriously LOVE this Weighted blanket. I sleep better now and use two comforters to get the same feeling of weight on me! It’s so soft and has a silky luxurious feel to it.. did I mention it's hypoallergenic!?! This is super important to me because I used to have acne and I have to sleep with hypoallergenic sheets! So overall 100% worth the price - because good sleep is priceless!” - Isabella Demetral
“I’ve been reading a lot about weighted blankets online and I came across this one from Cosy House and I decided to give it a try. Let me tell you, I’m so thankful I made that decision. This thing is absolutely amazing. It’s so soft and so cozy, and really makes me feel like I’m getting a warm hug at night.” - Milena Aleksic
And here’s where Cosy House stands out—we offer a Risk-Free Satisfaction Guarantee! If for any reason you’re unsatisfied with your weighted blanket, you can contact our customer service within 90 days and we’ll refund you.Interested in getting your very own Luxury Weighted Blanket? Click here to start shopping!
We've gone ahead & enclosed a 10% off coupon below for you to use if you'd like to take the plunge and try out our sheets for yourself! To shop our collection & get 10% OFF Use the code 'BLOG10' at checkout.
- The Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania. (2022, March 24). 4 Ways Weighted Blankets Can Actually Help You. Pennmedicine.org. https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates/blogs/health-and-wellness/2022/march/weighted-blankets
- Baumgartner, J. N., Quintana, D., Leija, L., Schuster, N. M., Bruno, K. A., Castellanos, J. P., & Case, L. K. (2022). Widespread Pressure Delivered by a Weighted Blanket Reduces Chronic Pain: A Randomized Controlled Trial. The journal of pain, 23(1), 156–174. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2021.07.009
- Ekholm, B., Spulber, S., & Adler, M. (2020). A randomized controlled study of weighted chain blankets for insomnia in psychiatric disorders. Journal of clinical sleep medicine : JCSM : official publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, 16(9), 1567–1577. https://doi.org/10.5664/jcsm.8636
- Mental Health UK. (2023, May 9). What is anxiety disorder?. Mental Health UK. https://mentalhealth-uk.org/help-and-information/conditions/anxiety-disorders/what-is-anxiety/
- Sleep and mental health. Mental Health UK. (2022, March 24). https://mentalhealth-uk.org/help-and-information/sleep/