How To Sleep Better: 4 Science-Backed Tips
Are you feeling muddled and drowsy as you're going on with your day? Keep reading!
What Happens When You Lose Sleep?
Feeling cranky in the morning? You might not be getting enough quality sleep. Your sleepy brain is affecting the rest of your body - memory, productivity, hunger hormones, and your mood are all impacted by a lack of sleep or an irregular sleep schedule .
Maybe you’ve been experiencing some insomnia lately, and you’re wondering what you can do to fix those restless nights. Not to worry, we’ve researched four science-backed tips to help you sleep better.
Cool, Dark, & Calm
Experts say a cool, dark space is best for a good snooze . How can you make your room a cosy sleep oasis?
- Turn that thermostat down. Between 20 to 21 degrees Celsius is ideal . It won’t be too humid or dry, and not be too cold. Just right. What temperature makes you the cosiest in this range?
- Dim the lights. Use some shades, curtains, or blinds to darken your room. Grab a sleep mask. Create some ambience with a candle or a darkened lamp. Indirect, soft lighting can help maintain your body’s natural circadian rhythms [8, 4].
- Try neutral colours. Vibrant, bright colours can be overstimulating and affect your mood. To create a calming space, we recommend our white, grey, and/or blue sheet sets.
Declutter, Declutter, Declutter
Studies done in 2015 have suggested that clutter can hinder the quality of your sleep . Chaotic atmospheres result in stressful headspaces. What to do?
- Organize your space. This can look like making your bed, putting those books away, or picking up your dirty laundry off the floor. You’ll be able to focus on your comfy, luxurious bedding rather than a space of disorder and tension.
- Clutter can be in your mind, too. Don’t check your work emails. Disconnect from your tech devices so your brain can rest. Create boundaries between work and home life.
- Clutter can also be loud. Try to maintain a space of peace whether that be complete silence, white noise, or your favourite music. If you need some music suggestions for your pre-sleep ritual, studies have shown that classical music can reduce stress and lower blood pressure . Crank that Beethoven.
Being mindful and present before bed can help you sleep better . Ponder this:
- Do some gentle yoga. According to experts, yoga before bed may help you to feel less stressed, wind down, and boost your mood, too .
- Take a warm bath or shower. Studies have shown this practice can help you destress by relaxing tight muscles and lowering blood pressure . If you’d like to elevate your bath time experience to one of luxury, we recommend our gentle luxury towel set.
- Meditate for at least 20 minutes before bed. Mindfulness meditation has been found to not only reduce instances of insomnia but also help regulate a healthy sleep cycle [2, 3]. First, choose a soothing focus such as your breath (slowly inhale and exhale), a short phrase or prayer, a sound (maybe that Beethoven is hitting the spot), or a positive affirmation. Then, let go and feel your mind and body relax.
Choose The Right Bedding For You
Your bedding and sleep position can either help you sleep or hinder your sleep. It’s important to pick the right bedding that fits your needs. Here are some things to consider:
- Most individuals sleep on their side. If you’re a side sleeper, a pillow that can provide support for your head and neck would work best. We recommend our luxury pillow and our luxury pillowcases, both loved for their hypoallergenic and moisture-wicking properties.
- Bedsheets that help cool your body and maintain healthy thermoregulation are key to quality sleep. You want something breathable and comfortable. We recommend our luxury sheets if you love cosy, cool comfort. Cooler than cotton, our Luxury Bed Sheets are made with an extra-plush bamboo viscose blend, one of the most breathable and lightweight fabrics on the market.
We've gone ahead & enclosed a 10% off coupon below for you to use if you'd like to take the plunge and try out our sheets for yourself! To shop our collection & get 10% OFF Use the code 'BLOG10' at checkout.
If you found this blog post helpful, comment below and let us know how you sleep better at night. The Cosy community would love to hear from you! You can also check out our 7 tips for getting back to sleep every night here.