How to Give Your Room a More Sophisticated Look
We all want our homes to look expensive, luxurious, and lavish—but that next-level effort is often not very wallet-friendly.
Are you searching for a way to upgrade your home without breaking the bank?
Look no further. We’ve got you covered!
10 Tips For A More Expensive-Looking Room
We’ve got 10 tips for you below to sophisticate your space with inexpensive design tricks and as little effort as possible! Let’s take a look.
Interior design experts refer to small groupings of decorative objects within the home as “vignettes.” For a beautiful personal statement that looks expensive and refined, purposefully placing vignettes on mantles, nightstands, coffee tables, and shelves can add a small pop of fashionable ‘pizazz’, plus put your favourite treasures on display.
Our motto—the bigger the bouquet, the more sophisticated the space. Don’t let your fresh flower display look thin and sparse; make sure you are placing your vase of flowers somewhere centred, like the main coffee table in the living room or the dining room table. Full, bountiful, and lush flower bouquets can add a touch of class to any space.
Metallic decor has a way of giving any space or surface an instant expensive look. However, unlike your big and beautiful flower display, you’re going to want to keep the metallic sparse. In this case, less is more—a small gold leaf mirror on the wall, a brass table in the bedroom, or even just a few pieces of vintage silver somewhere about the home are a few great examples.
If you’re looking for that classic, old-timey Hollywood look, artsy antiques are just the thing. For a simple aesthetic of history and wisdom, large-scale accessories like lamps, mirrors, and pieces of furniture, or small-scale accessories like little trinket music boxes, sculptural wall sconces, and brass picture frames or art pieces can do the trick. There’s no need to spend a fortune! Go to your local antique shops, thrift stores, or flea markets, and find simple items that spark your fancy.
Deep Clean & Declutter
When has clutter ever looked sophisticated? It’s time to spruce up those big spaces in your home—tie up the pile of wires behind your tv, do the laundry so there isn’t a stack of clothes on the floor, and organise your collection of novels on the bookshelf. For optimum cleanliness and organisation, check out Cosy’s Home and Bath Collection. How can you get started, you ask?
- Have all your cleaning essentials ready to go at arm’s reach—place them all in a caddy, bucket, or tool belt with multiple pockets. You’ll need premium cleaning solutions to get the job done, so opt for cleaners that don’t contain harmful chemicals or fillers.
- Have your laundry supplies ready to go, like our premium wool dryer balls for reducing the drying time of your laundry by 30%.
- Here’s a little pro tip for all you clean folk out there: Our Lux Bedding is machine washable and dryer-friendly making cleaning day easy as ever.
Statement pieces are a given, and the fun part about this suggestion—you can make it all your own! What are your favourite details in each room of the house? Is it the dark wood bed frame in the bedroom, the gorgeous gilded shelving in the living room, or the old velvet armchair in the hall? Every room in the house can have its statement centrepiece, but be sure to keep it simple, focused, and to the point. Again, clutter isn’t your pal when it comes to sophistication.
Much like the easy sophistication upgrade, you can get with a big bouquet of fresh flowers, a large fern, a potted plant, or even a few faux succulents is another quick way to boost the class in any space. No matter where you decide your greenery should be placed, make sure you are keeping it simple. You only need a few to add more luxury to your home!
Overfluffed & Overfilled
Ever been to a fancy hotel and seen that every throw pillow was super plump and overfilled? Let’s bring that gold-standard hotel quality right to your home! All you have to do is make sure your decorative cushions and pillows are plumped and overstuffed. For your bedroom, make sure you are looking for thick and lofty, but airy, sleeping pillows to dress up the bed. Where can you find such a pillow?
Queue our very own Luxury Bamboo Pillow (luxury is in the name!). Our indulgent, super-soft pillow is made to give your head and neck extra support, coolness, and cosiness.
For an even grander plush, luxe aesthetic, check out the Luxury Bamboo Down Alternative Duvet for your bed. It’s stuffed with a fluffy polyester fill that resembles the airy, cuddly-softness of traditional feather down, and is made of soft, breathable bamboo viscose and microfibre. Our Luxury Duvet will add just the right amount of Je ne sais quoi you’ve been looking for.
If you want to take it to the next level, we have a special pro tip for you: Pair with our Luxury Bamboo Duvet Cover and stuff with two duvet inserts for a plush look and feel.
Upgrade, Upgrade, Upgrade
When it comes to upgrading your bedroom for a more luxe look and feel, it’s all about preference, style, and practicality. We suggest starting with the placement of your bed—do you want it in the centre of the room as the focal point, in the corner for optimization of space, next to the window for extra sunshine, or diagonally to add a bit of unconventional symmetry to the room? It’s all up to you!
There are only a couple of things to keep in mind before you take the plunge and start upgrading your old bedding:
- Pillow Covers - A great way to add brightness and class to your bedroom is with a modern pillow cover. We recommend a bright white or cream cover, like our Luxury Bamboo Pillow Cases which are seriously soft and buttery-smooth.
- Layering - Layering your bedding is the key to appearing sophisticated. Your bedding should include things like essential bed sheets, a blanket, and a decorative throw blanket. Make sure you’re maximising this layering technique - the plusher your bed, the more elegant it looks. As we mentioned, we also highly recommend our Luxury Bamboo Down Alternative Duvet and Luxury Bamboo Duvet Cover combo to achieve this.
Organisation equals sophistication, and it’s time to sophisticate the bathroom. We have some suggestions for you to get started.
- Bath Caddy - A bath caddy is an all-in-one solution to easily store bathroom necessities and keep your shower in order.
- Sink Caddy - Much like the bath, a nifty little sink caddy should be able to easily store essentials like toothbrushes, toothpaste, and other bathroom supplies.
- Reusable Goodies - If you’re looking to keep your look up with the times, bathroom items like shampoo bars, washable makeup removers, and reusable hand soaps are all the rage right now. Try looking for glass bottles with pumps that you can easily refill with soap instead of going through plastic after plastic bottles. The same principle applies to your plastic shampoo bottles and your cotton puffs - look for planet-friendly options instead. You’ll not only save space, but you’ll reduce waste, too.
Looking for more ways to enhance your bedroom or the other spaces in your home? Click here to treat yourself to quality essentials and affordable luxury without breaking your budget.
What are some of your favourite sophisticated decor items? Do you have any decor secrets you’re willing to share? Let us know in the comments below. The Cosy community loves hearing from you!
We've gone ahead & enclosed a 10% off coupon below for you to use if you'd like to take the plunge and try out our sheets for yourself! To shop our collection & get 10% OFF Use the code 'BLOG10' at checkout.